Critic Reviews (4)
Community Reviews (6)
This is a typical Barossa wine, big & powerful. Visually it's inky, opaque & purple to arterial red in colour. Med intensity on the nose that shows cedar, turmeric, anise, cassis, dark chocolate, plums, blackberry, pencil shavings, raspberry, cigar box. Complex nose. On the palate it's dry, med+ acidity, med+ tannins, full body, long length, there's heat from the 15.5% alcohol. Complexity on the taste. In addition to the notes on the nose, there's dark cherry, leather, tar & spinach. This wine needs to be matched with something just as powerful, try porterhouse on the grill. This will be even better with 3-4 yrs cellaring, even though it's a screw cap. If you drink now I suggest you decant first.
Score 9/10, Value: 9/10, Total: 18/20.
Tasted 29 April 2011.
Out of 5 stars, I rated this wine: 4
The 2008 Saltram Mamre Brook Cabernet Sauvignon is a full bodied, integrated wine, with nice aromas of blackberry, cedar, leather and vanilla + coconut. Tannins are refined (decant for 30 min) and the finish is medium to long and alcoholic (15.5%). Drink now or cellar for the next 5 years standing up (screw cap). My impression: NICE, 90 pts. Tasted Dec/11.
If you would like to see wines I recommend and that are still available at the LCBO, please visit this link (listed in my profile):
LCBO New World Wine- Australia 5/8
A very very good wine
- slightly sweeter than I prefer (I like extra dry)- You can definitely taste the licorice, plum, and mushroom flavour.
Would purchase- moderate price for a fairly balanced wine.
awesome, Bam, packed full of flavor.
Like an angel crying on your tongue.
Definitely a repurchase, this is worth the price point
Similar Cabernet Sauvignon
- Gallo Family Frei Ranch Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, California
- Bishop's Peak Cabernet Sauvignon 2011, California
- Wynns Coonawarra Estate Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2010, South Australia
- Carmen Gran Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon 2010, Maipo Valley
- Firestone Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2010, California