Critic Reviews (3)
Community Reviews (3)
This is an amazing wine for under $20. Introduced me to a new varietal that reminds me of my other favourites like Syrah, Shiraz and Malbec. If you're looking for a heavy fruit nose, full mouth feel and rich wine this is an excellent introduction to Carmenere. Finish is too short but only because you enjoy the first part so much.
The 2008 Montes Alpha Carmenère is medium to full bodied with integrated, nicely aromatic red currant, cherry, prune, cedar, green pepper and coconut notes. Tannins are refined (decant for 30 min) and the finish is smooth and long. Despite being good to drink now, this wine should be aged a bit as it will nicely evolve for the next 8-10 years. My impression: BEAUTIFUL, 91 pts - a recommended buy. Tasted Feb/11.
If you would like to see wines I recommend and that are still available at the LCBO, please visit this link (listed in my profile):
Visit my website www.grapeselections.com
- Santa Rita Medalla Real Carmenere Gran Reserva 2013, Colchagua Valley
- Concha Y Toro Winemaker's Lot 148 Carmenère 2007, Chile
- Emiliana Novas Carménère / Cabernet Sauvignon 2013, Colchagua Valley
- Viña Tarapacá Gran Reserva Carmenère 2013, Maipo Valley
- Miguel Torres Cordillera De Los Andes Special Reserva Carmenère 2009, Curicó Valley